Watts New

Modérateurs: tweety_pie, Louisplaneurs

Watts New

Messagede PORTFOX » 15 Fév 2019, 06:30

Hello from Australia, hope this is ok in English.
I seen Louis model designs about 6 months ago and have admired his building techniques. I have a few models that i'm working on at present, so thought i'd share what i have been doing.

First up is the Watts New, it's a model that was inspired by the smaller version of the Watts Up. A gent (Brian) in the UK has made plans for it and you can contact him through rcgroups by searching for "Watts New".
Its classified as an F5J model with a wing span of just under 4meters, made up of pod/boom fuselage, I'll be using a carbon boom for mine as seen in the first images. AUW i'm planning to be just on the 2kg weight, give or take some. A little heavier is no problem, the thermal activity in Oz is very aggressive. Section is MH30 and the wing is skinned with 1.5mm balsa then cover at 45deg with 3/4oz glass to provide strength.

I have a great lazer cutter friend here in Oz and he has cut most of the parts to make this quicker to pop together. I do prefer to cut everything myself, but through some communication with Brian we established that we could have it done locally.

So starting with the smaller parts to get the brain going, the rudder and elevator.

Elevator, was really easy and quick.

Steve

Rudder provides some thought, i'm considering the small bolts (in bottom of image) to secure the rudder post.
PORTFOX

Re: Watts New

Messagede Louisplaneurs » 15 Fév 2019, 09:33

Hello Steve
Welcome onboard ! We are very interested in your project. For the pictures, you can put photos until 900 pixels, that is much better for everyone to see what you are building !
regards
Louis
La fibre est la meilleure amie du balsa.
Louisplaneurs

Messagede PORTFOX » 18 Fév 2019, 23:51

A little more work on the rudder post, i've used two blind nuts that are epoxied into the post itself, the bolts are just straight through the carbon. I have a tension mount inside to stop the carbon from being crushed when the tension is on.

small video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjxoBnlMXC4&feature=share
PORTFOX

Messagede Louisplaneurs » 19 Fév 2019, 11:33

very nice, this way we can see all the details !!
Louis
Louisplaneurs

Messagede PORTFOX » 06 Mar 2019, 05:37

Time has been rather poor lately, so not a lot has been built.
I have been working on the motor mount, making sure the correct downward angle is meet and that the motor has enough clearance.

PORTFOX

Messagede Louisplaneurs » 06 Mar 2019, 09:36

Hello Steve,
Nice work ! Can you tell us a little about the place you live, your gliders, the places where you fly (photos....)
That will be interesting for us !
Louis
Louisplaneurs

Suivante

Retourner vers Constructions illustrées en photos